Hampton Institute began the Hampton Indian Program to "christianize and civilize" American Indians. The first students arrived at the institute near midnight on 13 April 1878. They had been incarcerated at Fort Marion in St. Augustine, Florida, in an attempt by the U.S. Government to control their kinsmen. Later, government officials recruited males and females from 65 tribal groups from the Midwest and Southwest. Approximately 1,388 students participated before the program ended in 1923. Thirty-eight students from the program are interred in the integrated campus cemetery. The Hampton Indian Program became the model for the Carlisle Indian Industrial School in Pennsylvania.
Year On Marker: 2008
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Hampton
Physical Description of Location: Hampton, VA 23669. Located on East Tyler Street, 0.25 miles west of the junction of East Tyler Street and Settlers Landing Road (Hwy 60). Marker is on the right when traveling west on East Tyler Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth