To the south stood the Glebe House of Cumberland Parish, residence of Anglican minister Rev. James Craig, from 1759 until his death in 1795. An ardent patriot during the Revolutionary War, Craig allowed his mill on Flat Rock Creek to be used as a supply depot for American troops. While raiding Southside Virginia in 1781, British Lt. Col. Barnastre Tarleton and his cavalry burned the mill, and suspecting Craig of storing arms at the Glebe House, held him prisoner until paroled. The Orgain family, Craig’s descendants, occupied the Glebe property from 1834-1910, operating the Flat Rock Female Seminary there from 1834 until 1871.
Original Sponsor: Cynthia Mattson
Geographic Location: Lunenburg County
Physical Description of Location: Kenbridge, VA 23944. Near intersection of State Route 40 and Oakes Road, ~2 miles west of Kenbridge. Marker is on right when traveling west on State Route 40.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth