The first Methodist Meeting House in Petersburg was a theatre on West Old Street near the river rented by Gressett Davis. Robert Williams, a follower of John Wesley, came to Petersburg to preach in 1773 at the invitation of Davis and Nathaniel Young, local businessmen. From this humble beginning, Methodism became firmly established in Petersburg and spread throughout the surrounding countryside. Petersburg served as Williams' headquarters and later was made part of the Brunswick circuit.
Geographic Location: Petersburg
Physical Description of Location: 422-498 Canal Street, Petersburg, VA 23803. Marker is in island at junction of Canal Street, Grove Avenue and Fleet Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth