The Farm stands on a 1020-acre tract acquired by Nicholas Meriwether in 1735 and later owned by Col. Nicholas Lewis, uncle of Meriwether Lewis. A building on the property likely served as headquarters for British Col. Banastre Tarleton briefly in June 1781. In 1825, Charlottesville lawyer and later University of Virginia law professor, John A. G. Davis, purchased a portion of the original tract and engaged Thomas Jefferson's workmen to design and build this house. It is considered one of the best surviving examples of Jeffersonian residential architecture. Maj. Gen. George A. Custer occupied the house as his headquarters for a brief time in March 1865.
Geographic Location: Charlottesville
Physical Description of Location: Charlottesville, VA 22902. Located on Jefferson Street, 0.2 miles east of the intersection of Jefferson Street and 10th Street Northeast. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Jefferson Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth