The first railroad depot at Beaver Dam was built ca. 1840 to serve the farmers of Hanover and Louisa counties. Its strategic location during the Civil War made it the target of many Union raids. The July 20, 1862, raid saw the depot burned and Colonel John S. Mosby, the Gray Ghost, captured as he awaited a train to take him to General Stonewall Jackson. Rebuilt after this raid, the depot was again burned by Union troops on February 29, 1864, and May 9, 1864, the last time by the cavalry of General George A. Custer. The existing depot was rebuilt and rededicated in 1866.
Geographic Location: Hanover County
Physical Description of Location: Beaverdam, VA 23015. Located on Beaverdam School Road, 1.25 miles north of the junction of Beaverdam School Road and State Route 658. Marker is on the right when traveling north on Beaverdam School Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth