The town was laid off as the county seat, in 1800, when Tazewell County was formed, on land given by William Peery and Samuel Ferguson. First known as Jeffersonville, the name was changed to Tazewell, for Senator Henry Tazewell. Averell was here in May, 1864, and the town was occupied in other raids. It was incorporated in 1866.
Geographic Location: Tazewell County
Physical Description of Location: 620-624 W Main Street (Bus 460), Tazewell, VA 24651. Marker is on right when traveling west on W Main Street, just past intersection with Payne Avenue.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth