Here stood Taylor's Store, established in 1799 by Skelton Taylor, a lieutenant in the Bedford County militia during the Revolutionary War. After Franklin County was formed, he became a militia captain and overseer of the poor. His store and ordinary served travelers along the nearby Warwick Road, which linked the Southside Piedmont counties with Richmond. The store became the hub of a community known as Taylor's Store and functioned as a post office between 1818 and 1933. It was dismantled ca. 1970.
Geographic Location: Franklin County
Physical Description of Location: Booker T. Washington Highway (Route 122), Wirtz, VA 24184. Marker is on right when traveling north, .12 miles south of intersection of Route 122 and Inglewood Road (State Route 672).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth