T. C. Walker School, which opened in 1930, was named for Thomas Calhoun Walker a former slave from Gloucester County who became the first African American attorney in Virginia. It cost $4,600, and was underwritten with $500 from the Julius Rosenwald Foundation, $505 from the local African American community, and $3,595 from the county. Virginia Turner was one of the longest serving teachers at the school, which had two classrooms, a kitchen, and library and remained open until 1965. This Rosenwald School was one of more than 5,000 built in 15 states between 1917 and 1932 to teach African American children.
Original Sponsor: Renee Lewis-Cammock and Cliff Gilchrest
Geographic Location: Bath County
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location: 1633 T. C. Walker Road, Millboro, Virginia
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth