Surry County, named for the county of Surrey in England, was formed from James City County about 1652. The Quiyoughcohannocks, whose villages were primarily situated in present-day Surry County, were among the first Virginia Indians the English encountered in 1607. By 1609 the English had begun settlements in the county at Hog Island and Smith's Fort, a defensive fortification erected on the south side of the James River along Gray's Creek. One of the nation's outstanding examples of high-style 17th-century domestic architecture, Bacon's Castle, a National Historic Landmark, is located here. The county seat is Surry.
Date Approved by DHR: 09/09/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Geographic Location: Isle of Wight County
Physical Description of Location: Smithfield, VA 23430. Located on Colonial Trail East (Rt. 10), 1 mile east of the junction of Colonial Trail East (Rt. 10) and Moonlight Road. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Colonial Trail East (Rt. 10).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth