At daybreak on 3 April 1865, Federal troops formed to march into Richmond. A cavalry detachment under Majors Atherton H. Stevens, Jr. and Eugene E. Graves moved up the Osborne Turnpike to its junction with New Market Road. Here they met Richmond mayor Joseph Mayo, who handed Stevens a note of surrender for the city. Stevens accepted the note and had it forwarded to Maj. Gen. Godfrey Weitzel. At 8:15 A.M. at Richmond's city hall, Weitzel formally accepted the terms of surrender. The Union forces assisted in extinguishing the fires, started at around dawn by Confederate soldiers; by midafternoon order had begun to be restored to the city.
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Henrico, VA 23231. Located on Osbourne Turnpike (Rt. 5), less than 1/5 of a mile north of the junction of Osbourne Turnpike (Rt. 5) and New Market Road (Rt. 5). Marker is on the left when traveling north on Osbourne Turnpike (Rt. 5).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth