According to local tradition, the Sulphur Spring Baptist Church was founded in 1867, when services were held in a brush arbor. During the Reconstruction period, formerly enslaved African Americans formed congregations throughout the South similar to this church. By 1876 a log structure had been built and in that year the congregation purchased the one-acre tract of land on which it stood. The founding members of the church included Phillip Harris, William Wright, Alex Scott, William Green, and Daniel Carter. The first frame structure was built in 1900 and used until 1914 when the original part of the current church was constructed.
Geographic Location: Prince Edward County
Physical Description of Location: County Road 657, near intersection with County Road 615, Prospect, VA 23960.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth