The dwelling house at Sully Plantation was built in 1794 by Richard Bland Lee on land that had been patented in 1725. Lee was the first congressman from Northern Virginia and an early member of Phi Beta Kappa. His vote brought the capital city to the banks of the Potomac. Lee was appointed by President Madison as one of three commissioners to superintend the restoration of federal buildings burned by the British in 1814. Born at Leesylvania in Prince William County in 1761, Lee died in Washington in 1827.
Year On Marker: 1988
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: 3613-3691 Sully Road (Route 28), Chantilly, VA 20151. Marker is on right when traveling north on Route 28.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth