The community of Studley takes its name from the birthplace of Patrick Henry (1736-1799), orator of the American Revolution and first state governor of Virginia. The Henry family resided at Studley until 1750. The house, which burned in 1807, was a two-story brick dwelling with several outbuildings. At the time of the Civil War, the area was called Haw's Shop for a local blacksmith, and a cavalry engagement was fought there on 28 May 1864. The community adopted the name Studley by 1888.
Geographic Location: Hanover County
Physical Description of Location: Henry, VA 23116. Located at the intersection of State Route 615 and Studley Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth