Reconnoitering on 13 Oct. 1863, Maj. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart found himself and two cavalry brigades cut off from the Army of Northern Virginia by the Union II Corps. The Confederates concealed themselves all night just north of here in a ravine only half a mile from the Federals. The next morning, as Lt. Gen. Richard S. Ewell's infantry corps marched to aid him, with seven pieces of horse artillery Stuart opened fire on Union Brig. Gen. John C. Caldwell's division on a nearby hill and scattered it. Stuart and his men then charged Federal infantry approaching from Auburn and broke through to safety.
Geographic Location: Fauquier County
Physical Description of Location: 8136 Old Dumfries Road Warrenton, VA 20187. Located on Old Dumfries Road, 0.25 miles southweast of the junction of Old Dumfries Road and Co. Road 670. Marker is on the right when traveling southweast on Old Dumfries Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth