Chartered on 13 January 1844 as the Virginia Female Institute, Stuart Hall is Virginia's oldest college preparatory school for girls. The Rev. Dr. Richard H. Phillips headed the school from 1848 until 1880. Flora Cooke Stuart, "Mrs. General" J. E. B. Stuart, for whom the school was renamed in 1907, was principal from 1880 until 1899. Two of General Robert E. Lee's daughters attended Stuart Hall, and Lee served as president of the school's board of visitors from 1865 until 1870.
Geographic Location: Staunton
Physical Description of Location: 301-399 W Frederick Street, in front of Stuart Hall School, Staunton, VA 24401.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth