Benjamin Stratton, a member of the family that had owned the land since 1636, constructed this finely crafted house nearby about 1764, according to dated chimney bricks. Perhaps built on the site of an earlier Stratton dwelling, the house exemplifies the 18th-century vernacular architecture typical of Virginia's Eastern Shore. Among the features of the regional form are frame construction, Flemish-bond brick ends, chevron patterns in the gables, exterior chimneys with steeply sloping weatherings, and paneled chimney walls inside. Stratton was a chairmaker as well as a farmer, giving the house significance as an artisan's dwelling of the Revolutionary era.
Geographic Location: Northampton County
Physical Description of Location: Southeast corner of intersection between Charles M Lankford Jr Memorial Hwy (US 13 North) and Cobbs Station Road (County Road 636), Cape Charles, VA 23310. Marker on right when traveling north on US 13, just prior to intersection with Cobbs Station Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth