Sinking Spring Presbyterian Church established the institute in 1868 for the education of young women. As a tribute, it was named for Confederate Lt. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. The Floyd family property was purchased in Feb. 1868 to house the school. Classes began on 15 Sept. 1868, when boarding and day students as young as seven enrolled. It was renamed the Stonewall Jackson College in 1914 when the Montgomery Presbytery assumed joint ownership. On 24 Nov. 1914, the main buildings were destroyed by fire. The college continued to operate until 1930 when it closed because of mounting debts.
Geographic Location: Washington County
Physical Description of Location: 100-110 W Main Street (US 11), in front of Barter Theatre, Abingdon, VA 24210.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth