containertop

Stone Tavern and Central Hotel Marker, Q-20

George Nicholas, Albemarle County's Virginia General Assembly delegate in 1783, built a stone house here in 1784. James Monroe occupied it 1789-1790, while improving the dwelling at his nearby farm, later the site of the University of Virginia. Here on 15 Dec. 1806, while the house was being operated as the Stone Tavern, the return of Meriwether Lewis from his expedition to the Pacific with William Clark was celebrated with a dinner. Thomas Jefferson hosted a reception in the tavern (renamed the Central Hotel), on 12 Nov. 1824, for the Marquis de Lafayette. While serving as a hospital during the Civil War, the building burned with no fatalities in 1862.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1999
Region: Blue Ridge and Central Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Charlottesville
Physical Description of Location: Charlottesville, VA 22902. Located on Marker Street East, 0.25 miles southeast of the intersection of Marker Street East and Ridge McIntire Road. Marker is on the right when traveling southeast on Marker Street East.
GPS Location: 38.030573,-78.478277
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom