The Staunton and James River Turnpike ran through here at Batesville and stretched for 43 ½ miles from Staunton to Scottsville. Construction began in 1826 and was completed by 1830. The turnpike provided a direct route for Shenandoah Valley farmers to transport agricultural products to Scottsville, then to Richmond via the James River and Kanawha Canal. Because the turnpike became impassable during wet weather, it was converted to a plank road (wooden boards laid crosswise to the road surface) beginning in 1849. The emergence of the railroad industry and the high cost of maintenance resulted in its disuse by the late 1850s and eventual incorporation into the country's road system.
Year On Marker: 2003
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Albemarle County
Physical Description of Location: Samuel Miller, VA 22920. Located on Plank Road, less than 1/5 of a mile south of the intersection of Plank Road and Co Road 635. Marker is on the right when traveling south on Plank Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth