The village of Stanardsville was founded by William Stanard (died 1807), of Roxbury plantation, on land that was part of his 6,000 acre inheritance from the Octonia Grant of 1729. This grant included most of what is presently northern Greene County and Stanardsville. The Virginia General Assembly incorporated the town on 19 Dec. 1794. Stanardsville became the county seat of Greene County in 1838 when Greene was formed from Orange County. Brig. Gen. George A. Custer skirmished with Confederate cavalry here on 29 Feb. 1864, during his raid enroute to Albemarle County.
Geographic Location: Greene County
Physical Description of Location: Stanardsville, VA 22973. Located on Court Street, less than 1/5 of a mile east of the junction of Court Street and Ford Avenue (off of Hwy 33). Marker is on the right when traveling east on Court Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth