Stafford County was formed in 1664 from Westmoreland County and was part of the Northern Neck Proprietary of Lord Fairfax. It was named for Staffordshire, England. The county seat was located at Stafford in 1780; previously it had been at Marlborough Point. During the Civil War, the Union Army of the Potomac's more than 100,000 troops camped in the county during the winter of 1862-1863. Aquia Church, a National Historic Landmark, and the childhood home sites of George Washington and George Mason are located here.
Geographic Location: Prince William County
Physical Description of Location: 19916-19936 Jefferson Davis Highway (US 1), Quantico Station, VA 22172. Marker is on right when traveling north on US 1, just prior to going under Russell Road overpass.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth