Southwark Parish was established in 1647. To the northeast stood the second Southwark church built by 1673 and abandoned shortly after the American Revolution. To the east, near Bacon's Castle, Southwark Parish vestry completed the Lower Southwark Church in 1754. It too fell into disuse after the American Revolution and the disestablishment of the Anglican Church, but other denominations occasionally held services there. Episcopalians settled a mission at the church in 1847, but were forced by the other groups using the building to erect their own church nearby. Fire gutted the building in 1868, but some brick ruins remain.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/16/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Geographic Location: Surry County
Physical Description of Location: Southwest corner of intersection between Colonial Trail W (Virginia 10) and Hollybush Road (State Route 618), Spring Grove, VA 23881.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth