Nearby along the eastern bank of the Blackwater River once existed the community of South Quay, also sometimes called South Key, Old Quay, or Old South Quay. Founded by 1657, South Quay by 1701 had become the site of a landing and trading post. A customs house for international trade had been built at South Quay by 1776. During the Revolutionary War, supplies from overseas arrived there for the colonial army and at least two ships were built there. South Quay was destroyed by fire by British troops on 16 July 1781. The port was rebuilt, but its prominence diminished by the end of the 18th century, and eventually the community disappeared.
Geographic Location: Southampton County
Physical Description of Location: 33261-33297 Smiths Ferry Road (US 258), Franklin, VA 23851. Marker is on right when traveling north on US 258, about 1 mile after intersection with Riverdale Road (State Route 686).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth