In 1889 South Hill's founding fathers laid out the town's boundary in a circle radiating 5/8s of a mile from a point within the intersection of the Atlantic and Danville Railway tracks and the Boydton Plank Road (now U.S. Rt. 1). South Hill was incorporated as a town on 16 Feb. 1901 and remained one of the only three circular municipalities in the United States until an annexation in 1967. Tobacco, brought to market at the town's many warehouses, greatly influenced South Hill's growth and economy. By 1907, it was the third-largest flue-cured tobacco market in the state.
Year On Marker: 2009
Geographic Location: Mecklenburg County
Physical Description of Location: S. Mecklenburg Avenue (Route 637), South Hill, VA 23970. Marker is on right, in front of visitors center, when traveling north, just prior to intersection with E. Main Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth