Captain John Smith began Smith's Fort in 1609, two years after the first permanent English colony in the New World was established at Jamestown. The remains of the fort, a two-foot-high earthwork, constitute the oldest extant structure of English origin in Virginia. The fort stands on a high bluff overlooking Gray's Creek and encloses a triangle of about two hundred feet on each side. Thomas Rolfe, the only child of John Rolfe and Pocahontas, probably owned this tract. The house is a mid-18th-century Tidewater plantation dwelling likely built for Jacob Faulcon, Surry County clerk, from 1781 to 1801.
Geographic Location: Surry County
Physical Description of Location: 11841-11919 Rolfe Highway (Virginia 31), about 500 feet south of intersection with Colonial Trail E (Virginia 10), Surry, VA 23883.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth