The town was established in 1752. The Masonic Hall was built in 1753. Benedict Arnold occupied the town, January 15, 1781. At Cherry Grove Landing near by, skirmishing took place on April 13-15, 1864, and the Confederates made a daring capture of a Union vessel on December 5, 1864.
Geographic Location: Isle of Wight County
Physical Description of Location: Smithfield, VA 23430. Located on South Church Street (Hwy 258), 0.5 miles east of the junction of South Church Street (Hwy 258) and North Church Street (Rt. 10). Marker is on the left when traveling east on South Church Street (Hwy 258).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth