Skinquarter Baptist Church Marker, O-67

Pastor William Hickman and about 30 people founded Skinquarter Baptist Church in 1778. The first meetinghouse was located east of the church's cemetery. Hickman moved to Kentucky in 1784 and was an early Baptist leader there. Due to anti-missionary sentiment among the members, the congregation left the Middle District Baptist Association and became affiliated with the Zoar Association in 1836. However in 1848 they rejoined the Middle District Baptist Association. During the 19th century, five churches were organized from this congregation. Augustus Barton Rudd, a missionary to Mexico and Puerto Rico in the late 19th and 20th centuries, was a member. After a fire in 1890, the current church was initially built in 1891.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2002
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Matoaca, VA 23120. Located on VA-605, 0.25 miles north of the intersection of VA-605 and State Route 603. Marker is on the left when traveling north on VA-605.
GPS Location: 37.4095149440,-77.7918086380
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth