Six-Mile Ordinary, a popular 18th-century tavern also known as Allen's for its proprietor Isham Allen, stood six miles from Williamsburg. On 1 July 1774, a group of free holders congregated there and drafted the James City Resolves not to import British goods. Two years later, they gathered again to declare their support for American independence. On 21 April 1781, Col. James Innes notified the governor that 500 British infantrymen, 50 horses, and 4 pieces of artillery had come ashore at Burwell's Ferry. Because of this unexpected event, Innes and his troops retreated to Six-Mile Ordinary around midnight.
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: Williamsburg, VA 23188. Located on Richmond Road (Hwy 60), 0.5 miles north of the intersection of Richmond Road (Hwy 60) and Humelsine Pkwy (Rt. 199). Marker is on the left when traveling north on Richmond Road (Hwy 60).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth