Tidewater Institute was incorporated in 1903 with the stated purpose of establishing an industrial, academic, collegiate, and seminary boarding school for the education of black youth. Founded by the Rev. George E. Reid, and supported by the Northampton/Accomack Baptist Association, the institute attracted students from both Virginia and other Atlantic seaboard states. For twenty-eight years, the school was dedicated to the education and molding of lives of young black men and women of Virginia's Eastern Shore.
Geographic Location: Northampton County
Physical Description of Location: 5182-5278 Cobbs Station Rd (County Road 636), Cape Charles, VA 23310.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth