Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Site of Mount Airy K-31 | Marker History

Site of Mount Airy Marker, K-31

In 1811, Martin Staley transferred land here to his son Valentine. A year later, his son formed the town of Mounty (Mt.) Airy, sometimes referred to as Staleytown. The tract was divided into about 72 lots, including Main Street, Cross Street, and a public square. Following Valentine Staley's death in 1817, his wife and children successfully petitioned the General Assembly to sell more lots. With the establishment of a nearby railroad center at what became Rural Retreat and an attack on Mounty Airy by Federal troops during the Civil War, Mount Airy ceased to exist about 1875.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/16/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Region: Southwest Region
Geographic Location: Wythe County
Physical Description of Location: W Lee Highway (US 11 northbound), about 400 feet prior to intersection with Kimberlin Road (State Route 682), Rural Retreat, VA 24368. Marker is on right when traveling north on US 11.
GPS Location: 36.903227,-81.310544
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth