containertop

Shirley Marker, V-6

The house is a short distance south. Shirley was first occupied in 1613 and was known as West-and-Shirley Hundred. In 1664, Edward Hill patented the place, which was left by the third Edward Hill to his sister, Elizabeth Carter, in 1720. Here was born Anne Hill Carter, mother of Robert E. Lee, who often visited Shirley. The present house was built about 1740.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1928
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: Charles City County
Physical Description of Location: Charles City, VA 23030. Located on John Tyler Memorial Hwy, 1 mile northwest of the intersection of John Tyler Memorial Hwy and Roxbury Road (Rt. 106). Marker is on the right when traveling northwest on John Tyler Memorial Hwy.
GPS Location: 37.349468,-77.230474
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom