Sharon Indian School served as a center of education for the Upper Mattaponi Tribe. In 1919, the King William County School Board built a one-room frame building and the students' families provided the furniture. The county replaced the original school with this brick structure in 1952. Before the integration of Virginia schools in the 1960s, Sharon provided a primary and limited secondary education. The students at Sharon Indian School had to attend other Native American, private, or public institutions, usually outside the Commonwealth, to obtain high school diplomas. Upper Mattaponi students--and children from the Rappahannock Tribe in the 1960s--attended school here until June 1965. It was one of the last Indian schools to operate in Virginia.
Geographic Location: King William County
Physical Description of Location: King William, VA 23086. Located on King William Road (Rt. 30), 1.25 miles east of the intersection of King William Road (Rt. 30) and Richmond Tappahannock Hwy (Hwy 360). Marker is on the left when traveling east on King William Road (Rt. 30).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth