On this site prior to 1745 the Church of England's Raleigh Parish established Sandy River Chapel. Construction was completed on a new wooden church by 1765, some of which is believed to survive within the present building. In 1782 several different denominations began using it as a meetinghouse. It became Sharon Baptist Church in Oct. 1827 with the Rev. Daniel Witt as its first minister. Witt and his boyhood friend Jeremiah Jeter were the first missionaries for the Baptist General Association of Virginia, conducting preaching tours in eastern and western Virginia in 1823. Witt served as pastor here until his death in 1871 and is buried here.
Geographic Location: Prince Edward County
Physical Description of Location: Southeast corner of intersection between County Road 696 and County Road 612, Farmville, VA 23901. Marker is in front of Sharon Baptist Church.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth