Shady Grove Marker, L-12

Two miles east is Shady Grove, which was built in 1825 by Dr. George Cabell, of Point of Honor in Lynchburg, for his daughter Paulina and her husband Alexander Spotswood Henry, son of Patrick Henry. Shady Grove is a handsomely proportioned and detailed Federal farmhouse constructed on a raised basement. It contains highly sophisticated and academic architectural embellishments by country craftsmen. The interior features an elaborate carved mantel based on one at Point of Honor, Paulina Henry's childhood home. The family cemetery is across the road and contains the Henry family graves.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Marker reported missing, no Commonwealth or Federal replacement funding available. Will only be replaced if a private sponsor funds replacement. Post at site.
Region: Blue Ridge and Central Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Campbell County
Physical Description of Location: Brookneal, VA 24554. Located on Brookneal Hwy (Hwy 501), 0.2 miles north of the intersection of Brookneal Hwy (Hwy 501) and Co. Road 761. Marker is on the left when traveling north on Brookneal Hwy (Hwy 501).
GPS Location: 37.165284,-79.07455
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth