Seven Days Battles – Glendale (Frayser’s Farm) Marker, PA-175

Willis Church Road runs from here to Malvern Hill. A large part of Union Gen. George B. McClellan's Army of the Potomac followed this road south toward the James River, four miles ahead, near the end of the Seven Days' Battles in 1862. On 30 June, at the Battle of Glendale/Frayser's Farm, seven Union infantry divisions stretched across a wide arc north and west of here to keep this road open. Although Confederate infantrymen pushed to within sight of the critical road, they could not sever it. The Union army retreated on this and parallel roads to Malvern Hill during the night.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/16/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Varina, VA 23231. Located at the intersection of Charles City Road (Rt. 156) and Willis Church Road.
GPS Location: 37.4456771720,-77.2334613110
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth