The Seminary United Methodist Church was established in 1851 in Turkey Cove. Over the years this structure has served as a church, a school, and a Masonic Lodge. Its first board of trustees included W. N. G. Barron, James F. Jones, Henry C. Slemp, John W. Slemp, and John Snodgrass. W. W. Farthing was the first circuit rider. The building, made of local brick, originally had a wooden second story. It was damaged by fire in the 1860s; only the brick walls remained. A committee was appointed in 1873 to rebuild the structure. Heavy winds about 1923 caused further damage. When repairs were made, memorial stained glass windows were installed.
Geographic Location: Lee County
Physical Description of Location: Big Stone Gap, VA 24219. Located on Old U.S. 58, 1.4 miles northeast of the junction of Old U.S. 58 and US-58 Alt. Marker is on the left when traveling northeast on Old U.S. 58.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth