In 1743, the second Prince William County Courthouse was built near here along Cedar Run, replacing the first county courthouse in Woodbridge. After the creation of Fairfax County, the Cedar Run location, owned by Philemon Waters, became the center of Prince William County. The court remained here only until 1759, when it moved to Dumfries after the creation of Fauquier County. Henry Lee, father of Governor Henry ("Lighthorse-Harry") Lee, and grandfather of General Robert E. Lee, practiced law here. The building, like its predecessor, no longer stands.
Date Approved by DHR: 12/17/09
Year On Marker: 2009
Geographic Location: Prince William County
Physical Description of Location: Aden Road (State Route 646), about .2 miles southeast of intersection with Orlando Road, Nokesville, VA 20181. Marker is at closed entrance to Quantico Marine Corps base.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth