The Second Battle of Drewry's Bluff, or the Proctor's Creek engagement, began on 14 May 1864 when part of Union Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler's Army of the James feigned an attack toward Richmond from Bermuda Hundred. After two days of skirmishing, Federals led by Maj. Gen. William F. Smith and Maj. Gen. Quincy A. Gillmore captured the outer Confederate earthworks here. At dawn on 16 May, however, the Confederates under Maj. Gen. Robert F. Hoke and Maj. Gen. Robert Ransom, Jr., launched several assaults from the inner defenses just north. By midmorning the Federals began retreating south to the Half-Way House.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Bellwood, VA 23237. Located on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1), 1.5 miles north of the intersection of Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1) and Route 288. Marker is on the right when traveling north on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth