containertop

Second Battle of Drewry’s Bluff Marker, S-9-a

On 16 May 1864, Confederate forces under Gen. P.G. T. Beauregard attacked southward across a three mile front. They struck the Union Army of the James under Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler and pushed it across Proctor’s Creek, away from Richmond and toward Bermuda Hundred. Col. William B. Barton’s brigade of the Union 10th Corps defended this vicinity and faced North Carolinians belonging to the brigades of Brig. Gen. Thomas L. Clingman and Brig. Gen. Matthew W. Ransom. The fighting on this ground contributed to the eventual Union retreat and produced heavy losses on both sides.

Marker Information:
Date Approved by DHR: 06/19/08
Original Sponsor: Jamestown Builders, Inc.
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Marker location is an estimate at the time marker was approved by DHR. Actual location will be updated when marker is cast and erected.
GPS Location: 37.405098,-77.432552
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom