Settlement began here in 1636, when John Chisman patented 600 acres on Crab Neck, a peninsula bounded by Chisman Creek and Back Creek, a tributary of York River. The neck then lay in Charles River Parish in York County, one of the eight original shires created in 1634. A Confederate fortification stood near the narrowest part of the neck in 1862, and during the Civil War Union troops destroyed Zion Methodist Church here. Crab Neck post office was established in 1889; its name was changed to Seaford in 1910.
Geographic Location: York County
Physical Description of Location: 2134-2202 State Route 622 (Seaford Road), adjacent to Zion Cemetery, Seaford, VA 23696.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth