Schoolfield, established in 1903 as a textile mill village, was named for three brothers who founded Riverside Cotton Mills, later Dan River Mills. By the 1920s, this company town--complete with a school, churches, stores, a theatre, and other recreational facilities--was home to over 4,500 residents, mostly mill employees and their families, living in some 800 rental houses. A strike in 1930-31 ended a decade of employer/employee cooperation known as "Industrial Democracy," yet the community's tradition of neighborhood and family life continued to flourish. Danville annexed Schoolfield in 1951.
Geographic Location: Danville
Physical Description of Location: Danville, VA 24541. Located on West Main Street (Rt. 293), 1 mile east of the intersection of West Main Street (Rt. 293) and Memorial Drive (Hwy 29). Marker is on the left when traveling east on West Main Street (Rt. 293).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth