Sappony Baptist Church, originally called Sappony Meeting House, was erected here in 1773. It was a part of the Kehukee Association, which consisted of churches in North Carolina and Virginia. In 1791, these associations divided along state lines and the 19 Virginia churches became the Portsmouth Baptist Association. Church membership grew and at one point half of Sappony's congregants were enslaved people. During the Civil War battle here on 28 June 1864, the sanctuary served as a hospital. Bullets from the battle pierced the church Bible, and cannonball holes in front of the church still exist today.
Year On Marker: 2008
Original Sponsor: Sappony Baptist Church, Jim Stone
Geographic Location: Sussex County
Physical Description of Location: Southeast corner of intersection between Sussex Drive (Virginia 40) and Concord Sappony Road (State Route 681), Stony Creek, VA 23882. Marker is on left when traveling west on Virginia 40, in front of church.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth