Sapony Episcopal Church stands approximately 1.5 miles to the north. This simple frame building was first constructed in 1725-1726. The Rev. Devereux Jarratt served as rector here and at two other congregations in Dinwiddie County from 1763 until his death in 1801. He was a prominent figure of the Anglican, later Episcopal, Church. During the Great Awakening, he preached to large audiences in Southside Virginia and North Carolina and influenced the Methodist movement. The graves of Jarratt and his wife were moved here in 1869, the same year that part of the building collapsed. It was rebuilt using the original pews, wainscoting, windows, and railings.
Geographic Location: Dinwiddie County
Physical Description of Location: McKenney, VA 23872. Located at the intersection of McKenney Hwy and State Route 646.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth