Just south stands Salubria, a rare example of Georgian architecture in Virginia's Piedmont. The house is notable for its elegant proportions, fine Flemish-bond brickwork, and superb interior paneling. Salubria probably was constructed in the mid-eighteenth century for the Reverend John Thompson. According to local tradition, he built Salubria in 1742 when he married his first wife, Ann Butler, the widow of Lieutenant Governor Alexander Spotswood. In 1802 James Hansbrough bought the property and named it Salubria, which means healthful. Salubria was the birthplace and family home of Admiral Cary T. Grayson, personal physician to President Woodrow Wilson.
Geographic Location: Culpeper County
Physical Description of Location: Stevensburg, VA 22741. Located on Germanna Hwy (Rt. 3), 0.8 miles east of the intersection of Germanna Hwy (Rt. 3) and VA-663. Marker is on the right when traveling east on Germanna Hwy (Rt. 3).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth