Saltville is named for the vast salt deposits that exist under this valley. The commercial salt industry began developing here in the 1780s. During the Civil War, Saltville played a vital role in providing salt for the Confederacy. On 2 Oct. 1864 Confederate forces defeated Federal troops, while on 20 Dec. 1864 Union forces led by Maj. Gen. George Stoneman damaged the saltworks operation. The Mathieson Alkali Works opened here in 1892 and produced a variety of products using salt and other mineral resources from the area. The General Assembly officially incorporated Saltville as a town in 1896.
Geographic Location: Smyth County
Physical Description of Location: Median at junction of W Main Street (Virginia 91) and Court Street, Saltville, VA 24370. Marker is on right when traveling south on Virginia 91.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth