Nearby stood Salisbury, built during the middle portion of the 18th century. It was a one-and-a-half-story frame house that had two asymmetrical brick chimneys. Patrick Henry leased Salisbury from Thomas Mann Randolph and lived there while he was governor of Virginia from 1784 to 1786. Randolph sold the farm to Dr. William Turpin, and after Turpin's death his daughter Caroline, married to Dr. Edward Johnson, inherited the property. Their son Confederate Maj. Gen. Edward Johnson inherited the house in 1843 and lived there until his death in 1873. The house burned to the ground in 1923.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Midlothian, VA 23113. Located on Midlothian Turnpike (Hwy 60), 0.25 miles west of the intersection of Midlothian Turnpike (Hwy 60) and North Woodbridge Road. Marker is on the left when traveling west on Midlothian Turnpike (Hwy 60).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth