1.8 miles east of here stood Salem Methodist Church (1836-1918), scene of the initial violence resulting from the schism between northern and southern Methodists in 1846. A northern circuit preacher was dragged from the pulpit by members of the congregation. The building burned in 1870 and was replaced. Salem was the mother church of congregations at Cheriton and Oyster and five Eastern Shore Methodist ministers.
Geographic Location: Northampton County
Physical Description of Location: 20101-20259 Charles M Lankford Jr Memorial Hwy (US 13 North), Cape Charles, VA 23310. Marker is on right just prior to intersection with Eyehall Drive.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth