Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church traces its existence to 1789 when Shenandoah Valley circuit preacher Paul Henkel held services for the German community in a schoolhouse nearby at Seawright Springs. By 1805, the congregation had built a frame structure on land deeded by Mary and Samuel King. The old Salem cemetery contains several headstones with German inscriptions that date to the early 19th century. In 1859 a new building was constructed. U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s mother, Ida Stover, became a member of the congregation in 1875. The present brick church, dedicated in 1929, just north of here.
Geographic Location: Augusta County
Physical Description of Location: 417 Salem Church Road (State Route 616) in Weyers Cave, VA 24486. In front of church near intersection of Burke's Mill Road (State route 852).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth