containertop

Salem Chapel Marker, S-70

A mile south is the site of Salem Chapel, one of the pioneer Methodist churches of the state. Of it Francis Asbury wrote, "the best house we have in the country part of Virginia." There he held four sessions of the Virginia Annual conference: November, 1795; April, 1798; March, 1802; April, 1804. The building was burned about 1870.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1934
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Mecklenburg County
Physical Description of Location: 401-513 W Danville St (Business Route 1), South Hill, VA 23970. Marker is on right when traveling north, just past intersection with Goodes Ferry Road.
GPS Location: 36.724839,-78.133993
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom