Saint Paul's College was established in 1883 by the Venerable James Solomon Russell (1857-1935) as an Episcopal mission school to serve the black community of Southside Virginia. Born into slavery in Mecklenburg County, Russell was educated at Hampton Institute and trained for the clergy at Bishop Payne Divinity School in Petersburg. His school was chartered in 1888 and incorporated as Saint Paul's Normal and Industrial School in 1890. Classes were held in the three-room Saul Building on the campus. The charter was amended in 1941, changing the school to a four-year, degree-granting college. Its name was changed to Saint Paul's College in 1957.
Geographic Location: Brunswick County
Physical Description of Location: Lawrenceville, VA 23868. Located at the intersection of Windsor Avenue (Rt. 46) and College Drive.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth